Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tutoring High School Physics-Frameworks

Tutoring high school physics is difficult, especially because you don't have control over how they learn it in the first place.  For me, physics came down to learning the framework to solve a problem, and going through the steps each time.  When I thought about it quickly, I felt like it was just a process that can be easily followed, which does not vary much from problem to problem.  While teaching that framework, however, I realized how complex it can actually become. It takes a lot of practice to remember "what comes next" and how to apply the framework to each particular part of the process, however once it is embedded in the students head it is powerful.

I feel it is extremely important to go through all of the necessary steps from the very beginning, even if most variables turn out to be zero for the easier problems.  It gives the students a guide to work with so, when a more difficult problem comes along, they aren't confused by using a new method to solve the problem.  The less equations you use throughout the class the better.

What I am finding is that students learn quick ways to solve the problems at first (basically plug and chug with simplified equations) and then as the problems get more difficult they don't see the connection from problem to problem and chapter to chapter (if applicable).  It is a front end investment to push for them to write down a big equation with many variables that turn out to be zero, however it gets them in a great habit for the harder problems to come.

I think my tutee was a little annoyed at my persistance at first, but today he was cruising through some difficult problems.  I could feel his confidence and see his pride knowing he could go through a tough physics problem even if it is overwhelming at first.  He is comfortable and happy knowing he knows what the next step in the process is.  I am looking forward to see how he does as the class moves forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment